Tuesday 30 April 2013

Oh-sew-much-fun . . .

If you caught this post from last week, you'll know that I was taking part in an all-day workshop at the lovely Sew Me Something Emporium in Stratford-upon-Avon, to learn how to make a Reversible Skirt.

ooh, & there's a fab little vintage shop right next door too . . .

So, we spent the day pinning & cutting & sewing & pressing & nattering & learning all sorts of new things 
{like how to make not just one, but two skirts, and how to pin and cut them both out at the same time, and how to make a bias binding, and how to make a button placket . . .
for example !}.




Needless to say there was a wee bit of unpicking / seam-ripping / frogging . . . call it what you may, either way it's still most annoying. 
But that didn't distract from the fun, one little bit.

And gradually our lovely skirts took shape . . .


how about that button placket, eh ?



 We had all chosen different fabrics so it was fab to see how unique each of our skirts looked.  I must confess to a tad wee bit of fabric envy here - they're all so lovely, don't you think?




I didn't quite finish mine by the end of the day . . . did I mention there was nattering, tea, yummy biscuits and lunch inbetween too?  Oh and the sweetest choccie Lab to be fussed & cuddled . . .




 Jules' rescue dog, and the new Sew Me Something's mascot, Shadow, kept a look out from his bed - every now & again having a wee wander around the studio to check on our progress.




 I've still got to make the button holes, sew on the buttons and take up the hem, but I am so chuffed with my skirt and can't wait to make another one : - )

And that's the workshop that was . . . another well-spent creative day.

BIG thanks to the ever-so-patient Jules for her guidance & inspiration, and to Sarah, Jayne, Carolyn, June & Samantha for keeping me company. 

xoxo














21 comments:

  1. Looks like fun Gilly! And Shadow is too cute! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fab day! Your chouce of fabric was just lovely. I am hooked on sewing this year, moreso after the brilliant 'Great British Sewing Bee' on telly, why oh why was it only on for 4 weeks though!
    BH x
    (Shadow is gorgeous!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They all look great don't they? I really love the spring greens you've chosen for yours though. I am a little envious that you're all heading for summer just as we have to bunker down and endure the cold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So Nice ...!.....!!....owww love your dog ...!........love Ria.....xxx...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you had a great day - the fabric you chose for your skirt is wonderful! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a fabulous time Gilly! Your skirt is so pretty! :) xx Holly

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOOh Gilly how lovely...I must admit i do like yours the best!!!
    well done, love the piping too so so clever...
    d x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow such gorgeous skirts and such lovely fabrics to be envious of ... Did you eat all the choccie biccies? ... Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so totally impressed! I've never made anything wearable from my sewing adventures... just quilts and not many of those! LOl!
    That class looks like it was loads of fun! I do love chocolate labs! :D
    Hugs,
    Beth P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh...I love all of the fabrics. The skirts look super cute. I'd love to see one on to see better what it looks like. The class looks like it was a lot of fun. I'd love to take some classes like that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a fab day out Gilly, and I love your skirt! I really, really, need to learn to sew ...

    Thanks for popping over to me, you're always welcome, and good luck with the Annie Sloan, you'll be hooked!

    Love Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful way to spend the day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds like a wonderful way to spend the day, I must see if there are any classes around here that I can go to!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like you had a wonderful and fun sewing time!! Pretty skirt!! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great way to spend the day...and a wonderful way to learn some new sewing skills! The skirts look lovely !
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love to to have some skirts like that, it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! That sounds like a fab day. Looks like you learned so much! You'll be all style this summer with your new skirts :) What a super day to spend a day Gilly xxx Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks like so much fun ... sewing with friends and sharing your work and laughs (and lunch!). Now be honest, did you only sign up when you found out there was a chocolate lab in the bargain?! Your skirt looks very cute, and you must show us the entire thing all finished up. Wendy :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. A perfect day! Your skirt looks so, so pretty! I love the fabric you chose: beautifully springlike.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  20. How clever. I love the fact that it's reversible. xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on reaching 200 friends through your blog, Gilly! I am not going to enter your lovely giveaway because I have been given so much this year I would feel guilty if I won, but I wanted you to know I am enjoying our bloggy-friendship and love that we share common interests in creative pursuits. I have not made friends with a sewing machine yet, so I particularly admire your sewing efforts! Bravo for you! I just cut out 3 bunnies from one of Helen Philip's patterns and plan to start hand stitching them after I finish typing to you.
    Blessings to you and yours,
    Gracie

    ReplyDelete

Thank for popping by & saying hello!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...