Monday 7 March 2016

Another first: Weaving . . .

I'd been wanting to learn to weave for ages, then last year when we were across the pond in the beautiful city of Ottawa, Canada and visiting a delightful little shop called Wabi Sabi, their range of knitters and rigid heddle looms intruiged me.
   I was further inspired by all their fabulous creations on display, to the degree that I seriously considered the possibilty of buying a loom right there and then (the exchange rate of the Canadian dollar to the UK pound was very favourable).  But the logistics of schlepping it back on the plane stopped me, so as soon as we returned to our hotel, I was online googling Ashford Looms for a stockist closer to home, and as simply as that, I discovered FibreHut - a little shoppe teeming with weaving & spinning goodness, a mere 20 minutes from my front door to theirs.

The timing of our return to the UK coincided perfectly with my upcoming birthday, so lo & behold it came to pass that a mere couple of weeks later, I became the proud owner of my very own loom.





Another month or so later and I was pootling around Scotland's finest Craft Town, the pretty seaside village of West Kilbride, and came across the oh-so-delightful Weft Blown studio.  Ange makes the most lovely things, and was more than happy to have a wee chat and show me around - I really want need to do one of their workshops one day too - and I left feeling completely inspired to get stuck in and get weaving.


Weft Blown, West Kilbride - see what I mean it's inspiring?


Anyways, what with one thing and another it's taken me a little while but finally yesterday I finished my first ever weaving project, and I have to admit, I am tres chuffed indeed.

Okay so it's not the neatest scarf you ever did see,  but I think it's jolly good for a first attempt - and probably once I've sewn in all the ends {note to self: need to learn how to do that as I'm going along} and blocked it, it'll be better.  But either way, it's unique . . . and handmade isn't meant to be perfect anyway ; - )




It's such a fun way to use up my stash too.  Mostly I used leftover Debbie Bliss Mia DK yarn, with a few bits & pieces of others (DK and Aran) added in for good measure and to give it some variety in texture too.




It's just me & the pups at home today, and I'm rubbish at selfies so Ben very kindly agreed to model the scarf for me . . . in exchange for a few smelly treats, of course.

Wishing you a happy week . . .

'til next time,
xoxo


21 comments:

  1. Hooray for you!!! You have the weaving bug just like me. I love it and I find it very comforting to weave and sit outside, or listen to an audio book. Your first project is fantastic. I have two Ashford looms and I love them. Happy Weaving,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive, it is on my to do list to learn to weave. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Ben looks pretty impressed with your weaving too. Would love to learn to weave but need either the kids to leave home or move to a bigger house first. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gilly! I admire your first weaving very much, and just scrolled back and realized I had almost missed your sweet pup pillows and your fine crochet class. Seeing your creative efforts always inspires me. Please give some love pats from me to your good scarf model :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's really lovely Gilly. I'd like to have a go at weaving, but I just don't feel I have enough time at the moment to invest in another craft. Roll on retirement! Then I plan on spending my days knitting, sewing, spinning, crocheting and what ever else takes my fancy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, it looks amazing and the pup super cute too
    Clare xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fantastic!!! Congratulations on your beautiful scarf!! A wonderful make and lots more great things to come I am sure!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Owww so sweet model you have.....happy week......love Ria x

    ReplyDelete
  9. The scarf looks amazing, Gilly. Your model is very well-behaved! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks amazing and the pup is so good. It makes me want to have a go but I really can't start another project just yet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so cool , always knew that Ben had another career, modeling ! Love it

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous Gilly (the scarf is fab too!!)
    I was with Jess at her textile degree interview last week and the loom room blew me away!!
    Give the girls a big hug from me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is there no end to your talents?!!:) Scarf looks amazing, you must be well chuffed! Loving the beautiful quilt and cushion on the bench too!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh WOW,a very pretty scarf,love the colours not to mention the "model" gorgeous girl.For a first attempt that is really something well done you,can't wait for more.Love your pretty seat cover and cushion.Huggles/Cuddles for the girls xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous way to use up some of your stash. My daughter studies photography at Hereford Art college and some of her housemates are doing Textiles, they often instagram some of the most amazing woven stuff, with all sorts of patterns and textures. It looks like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a lovely scarf, I love the colours. I bought a loom like this a couple of months ago so I could have a go at weaving, it's good fun isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow that's lovely! Weaving is one thing i haven't tried. Did it take a long time to make?

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's really beautiful and an amazing first attempt. I love the soft colours. Looks great, but then it is on a pretty stunning model!!!! Ros

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good Afternoon Gilly, Firstly can I say how handsome Ben looks in the scarf you have woven. I have to say, it looks fabulous, you must feel so very proud of yourself. Considering you were using random wools from your stash, the colour combination is lovely.
    I think judging by your friends comments, you have started a trend, as weaving seems to be a skill many are hoping to learn.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gilly dahling this is a wonder to behold...feeling some weaving inspiration coming over me...xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank for popping by & saying hello!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...