Monday 15 February 2016

tulips and daisies . . .

My dressmaking mojo disappeared for a little while back there, but when the sun shines - as it has been here for the past few days - thoughts can't but help turn to Spring, and one of my favourite things about the new season is tulips.  Well actually tulips, and daffies, and daisies, and sunshine, and blue sky, and that feeling of everything waking up, and being warmer.
Anyway, I digress . . .  back to dressmaking, and The Tulip Skirt to be precise.






I'm really quite over Winter already, although I do believe it may be around a little longer, so now is as good a time as any to make a start to my Spring/Summer wardrobe - don't you think?




This pretty daisy fabric has been in my stash for a wee while now, just waiting for the right pattern.  I considered a few, and then I spotted the lovely Tulip Skirt by Sew Over It - and voila . . . in an instant it was purchased, downloaded and printed.   At this point I should mention that I'm not really a big fan of PDF patterns, I much prefer printed full-size ones.  It's all that printing and cutting and taping together, then cutting out that seems like so much of a faff - but hey-ho, needs must sometimes. And of course, at face-value it's the less expensive option too.


can you spot the dots of the pocket fabric ?


It's such a lovely pattern, and really quick and easy to make (once you're over the whole PDF thing, of course).  The instructions are well laid out, although there were a couple of points that I had to read over a few times before I got what was meant to be done. Maybe that's just me ; - )
But either way, it comes in two different lengths - I'm tall so I opted for the longer one which sits just above my knees - and has handy side pockets too, for which I used a contrasting dotty fabric, just because I had it, and it matched nicely.



So if you're planning some Spring makes too, it's a fun pattern to sew and I'm already rummaging through my fabric stash again with the intention of making another one sometime very soon.


'til next time,
xoxo






14 comments:

  1. Gilly i love love love that, is the daisy fabric a sort of lightweight denim ? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a thick cotton with a distinctly denim-ish look and feel to it. Easy to sew with and gives a nice structure to the skirt :-) xx

      Delete
  2. The skirt is wonderful Gilly, you did a great job.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful skirt Gilly! I hear ya with Winter.. I am so over the grey skies and mucky weather, could really do with a bolt of sunshine now to get my spring cleaning bum into action!! Have a great week my dear. Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it. I think I will have to give it a try. I haven't made any clothes in ages
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great, Gilly. And, if the winter stays around for a wee while yet - which I suspect it might - you could always wear it with thick tights and boots! Genius! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh I adore that print! its so cute!http://maybemayhemmakeup.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the skirt and the fabric is so cute. Glad your mojo has returned :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous skirt Gilly!!! I love the fabric and the actual skirt is lovely too. Hope that you enjoy wearing it a lot. You have made a great return to dressmaking! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a great skirt and it is good to think of summer now, when there is a sunny day you don't want to be inside sewing a skirt, you want to be out there wearing it! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely skirt! Love that fabric. It hasn't felt much like winter this year but getting in the car at 7.30 this morning it was -1.5 so maybe winter is still to come

    ReplyDelete
  11. The perfect skirt for spring. Love the fabric you picked and I spotted those pockets in your Instagram photo too. I wonder what you're going to sew next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hmmm-ing & haa-ing over my next project too! ;-) xx

      Delete
  12. Love this, I think you have convinced me I need this pattern. I have some perfect fabric lurking in my stash already!

    ReplyDelete

Thank for popping by & saying hello!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...