Wednesday 4 November 2015

A little pootle . . .

I've been going to visit my family in the pretty little town of West Kilbride, in Ayrshire on the beautiful west coast of Scotland for years, but it's been ages since I'd had the chance for a wee wander around.
So a couple of weeks ago, my lovely cuzzies & I took ourselves off for a little pootle and I got a peek into some of the fab shops that contribute towards the Craft Town of Scotland accolade that West Kilbride holds.

Our first stop was Old Maiden Aunt Yarns - what a great wee shop, filled to the brim with oh-so-lovely hand-dyed yarns in all sorts of yummy colours.






I spied the dye pots simmering away in the back, and was lucky enough to have my curiosity satified by an explanation of the whole process that they use to achieve all the pretty colours.  



It was at this stage that I mentally cursed having a restricted baggage allowance for my return flight, so whilst I did make a little purchase, I had to be suitably restrained.  But I'll be back.... with more available space in my suitcase next time!  

A little further down the main street, we popped our heads around the door of McHattie - a yarn boutique that at that moment was full of a big group of nattering, knitting ladies, and no space for us & my littlest cuzzie's stroller. So we carried on along the road, and will hopefully stop in next time I'm in town.


Just a few doors along, we discovered another exciting little shop - Weft Blown.  Now I don't think I've had a chance to tell you this yet, but the Hubby gave me an Ashford Knitters Loom for my birthday - so stepping into Weft Blown was a delight. Friendly, helpful and happy to chat, with soooo many pretty things on display that have really inspired me to get weaving :-)





So lovely peeps, if you ever find yourself pootling around the west of Scotland, don't skip a visit to this crafty town - it's well worth a wander.

Oh and of course if you're in need of a holiday, I can highly recommend THE Best Travel Agent in the World . . . LAH Travel, right there in the main street too - tell them I sent you ;-)

'til next time,
xoxo

ps. West Kilbride has also been nominated in the Great British High Street Awards 2015.  I think they deserved to win!

pps. Also linking up today with Small Things weekly Yarn Along - so do pop over and see what everyone else has been up to.

9 comments:

  1. Very envious of your trip to Old Maiden Aunt. I think I might have been tempted to post a few extra skeins back home to myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all looks lovely, Gilly! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you had a good trip and shared some of the highlights with us, Gilly :) The colors of the drying yarn are lush! I just got back from the knit/crochet group I helped organize. We are making blankets for a local NICU. For our first daytime meeting last week I read aloud one of Lisa's devotional entries. The ladies really appreciated it! This week the ladies who attended asked if I was going to read them another segment so I did :) They jotted down the name of the book! I told them I was giving away a copy of the book on November 7 through my blog. One of the gals immediately left a comment on my blog and asked to have her name included in the drawing. Please let Lisa know we appreciate her work. Wishing you happy creative days. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun - to get to see your pictures of some of the West Kilbride shops. They look inspiring with all their color and creative bits displayed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A visit to West Kilbride has been on my list of things to do for years. I am glad you enjoyed your visit. The Old Maiden Yarn shop looks amazing! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fabulous shops ...... I may have to drop hints about a weekend away to the West Coast!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, ... what a great shops you have been to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what an impressive place to visit, the little tour you took us on was a real delight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to Scotland in a few months so I've been pinning like mad :-) What great shops.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank for popping by & saying hello!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...