Sunday 23 August 2015

On my travels . . . Part 1: Alaska

Hello there, lovely bloggy peeps - I'm back, and looking forward to spending some time catching up this week.
We had a truly lovely, relaxing and fun holiday, and I'm enjoying wading through all the pics we managed to take, etching the memories firmly on my mind.  But here we are home again, happily reunited with the two most-adorable-pups-in-the-world and wading through a seemingly endless pile of laundry whilst battling the inevitable jetlag. 
So, would you like to hear a little about it?

It's hard to describe just how awesome Alaska is.  Seriously peeps, if you've not yet been, add it to your bucket list right now.  It is breathtakingly beautiful at almost every turn. 
 We began our journey in Vancouver, Canada (but more about that in part deux) and sailed up the coast through the Inside Passage to Ketchikan, Icy Strait Point, Juneau, Skagway and the Hubbard Glacier, ending up in Seward.




There were so many highlights, but taking a helicopter flight over the glacier, going dog-sledding and traversing the White Pass are right up there.  Not to mention meeting this gorgeous little Husky pup who stole my heart . . .

And of course there were the yarn and fabric shops . . .   : - )
Every town had at least one, and the poor Hubby very patiently wandered from one to the next with me, whilst I ooh-ed and aah-ed, and hmmm-ed and haa-ed over all the pretty things.






It seems that crafty folk the world over are a friendly bunch and we met the loveliest of peeps in every store.  I did make a few wee purchases - always conscious of the limits of an airline baggage allowance, of course.   There was such an abundance of choice, so my self-imposed rule was that it had to be local.  So now I have some pretty Alaskan yarns added to my stash that I just can't wait to use.  Watch this space . . .

Hope all's well with you,
'til next time,
xoxo




 

16 comments:

  1. OOh! What a great trip. I'd love to see Alaska one day. In fact, I think it may be the first cruise hubby and I take. Thanks for sharing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos, Gilly. They make me want to pack up and head off there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in awe of all those beautiful sights and craft stores. Sounds like a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing trip - think I need to book my trip now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all looks amazing, Gilly. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks brilliant, I'd like to go for the yarn shops alone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you had a nice time. I would love to visit Alaska someday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! We went exactly a year ago. It certainly is unforgetable. Glad you had such a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alaska IS on my bucket list! Sounds like you had an incredible time ... such gorgeous shots. I've been dog sledding in Quebec many years ago, and loved it. Not sure I would enjoy a helicopter ride though. You look quite the part in the photos and that husky pup looks quite comfy in your arms ;) How lucky that you were able to find so many fabric/yarn stores too. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh your pics really make me want to go Alaska looks fab! Amazed at how many craft stores you found.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It all looks fabulous ...... if a touch chilly! Looking forward to seeing more ...... and seeing what you bought!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks and sounds as though you had a fabulous time!! The scenery is incredible and so are those crafty shops!! So glad you had a wonderful holiday!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Alaska, my favorite trip of all time. So glad you could enjoy it. It is really magnificent!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Stunning scenery. I would love to visit Alaska some day. I do hope you managed to sneak back a ball of quivuit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Alaska is an area I would love to see and I'm so glad you had a wonderful trip Gilly! I didn't have quite so many photos from my last trip, but I enjoyed viewing and posting some of mine, and look forward to seeing more of yours :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. What cruise line were you on? We were there a month ago! Awesome trip! Your pictures look just like mine!

    ReplyDelete

Thank for popping by & saying hello!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...