Tuesday 17 March 2015

Simple Summer Sewing . . .

Thank you lovely peeps,  for your kind get-well wishes and sweet comments, as always, and I really do hope to catch up with all your bloggy news soon too.

  I'm back at full strength again and had a most creative & productive weekend which started on Friday with a happy sewing day spent in the company of my delightful friend Sarah.
Lots of nattering, yummy food, and some sewing - just a perfect way to spend a day.

We both made the same simple summery Retro Shift dress from Christine Haynes' book
 "chic & simple Sewing" which comes complete with full-sized paper patterns - a good thing indeed as I'm really not a big fan of printing and piecing PDF patterns.  The instructions were not overly clear at times, but between us we worked it out.  And there are a few other lovely projects in the book that I like the look of too. We picked up our copies at The Works for £8.95 so it was really good value, considering it contains 20 project patterns.

. . . lunch was ooh-sew-delicious too . . .

Despite some sunshiney days, it's still a tad chilly here so it may be a little while before I get to wear my new dress -  but I'm ever hopeful that we'll have a hot summer and I'll get to wear it lots.
The fabric is from Sew Me Something (of course . . .) and it's from the pretty Petal & Plume range by AGF.  I couldn't resist it - it's just sew ME  : - )

And then I made a top too -  it's a pressie for my lovely sis, so I can't show you that quite yet.
Oh, and I finished my crocheted cushion too  ( I did say, it was a productive weekend . . .) so stay tuned and as soon as I've taken some pics, I promise to show & tell.

'til next time,
xoxo

Oh, and ps.  Is anyone else planning a visit to Hobbycrafts & Sewing for Pleasure at the NEC in Birmingham this week ? 


17 comments:

  1. You certainly had a productive weekend, the dress is a real delight, I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the dress so pretty for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dress is so pretty! It looks light and airy for summertime and the colors are really great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so nice to see you back posting.Glad you had a lovely time with your crafty buddy.Love your dress,I think maybe even I could make that,as I am a complete beginner and haven't got a clue as regards reading a pattern LOL.Hope those pups are behaving.xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again Ms Gilly you have made me want to go and buy some new fabric and get going with the sewing! Oh for those warmer days! Well done x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the pretty fabric that you have used for your dress - I just hope we do get a lovley summer so that you get to wear it lots!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you're feeling better, Gilly. :o)

    The dress is lovely. Let's hope we get some warm weather so you can wear it! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous dress and the fabric is gorgeous. I love the thought of having a sewing day with a friend. It's not something I've ever done before. Knitting and crochet yes but no sewing. Great idea.
    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your dress is lovely, gorgeous fabric! What a bargain with the book :)
    Looking forward to seeing your cushion :)
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gilly! I've missed you....not your fault but mine. I have just had a lovely scrolling back visit with you. I am so sorry you were ill and missed out on what looked like a fun trip :( I admire your sewing projects and your basket weaving and your generous give away! I am ready for the decrease stitches on the first baby hat I have ever tried to make on dpn. So far so good....xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you are feeling better and the dress is lovely. What a great idea having a sewing day with a friend. I am off to NEC tomorrow I shall pop into SMS to say hi and of course look at the lovely fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you are better...beeeyoutiful fabric choice as always...best d x

    ReplyDelete
  13. The dress is gorgeous, you did a great job.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Gilly! You certainly have been productive. I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling better. Your dress is so cute - hope you will model it for us in the summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Crafting with a friend AND nibbles is certainly a recipe for a perfect day. As far as I can see the only thing missing is cake?!
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the dress. Don't know the book will go and check it out. Even more impressed that it comes with full sized patterns. Glad you are better

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great shift, that will be amazing in the "hot" summer (one can hope, right?) LOL ;) Glad you're back on your feet again. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank for popping by & saying hello!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...