Wednesday 26 November 2014

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas . . .

Every year around this time, the Hubby & I have a discussion: 
 I want to put the Christmas tree and all the decs up on the 1st of December,  he says it should only be done on the 16th. 
 Usually we end up with an acceptable compromise:
 he shakes his head, rolls his eyes and humours me ; and the decs go up around the 1st.
Yay  ; - )

(thanks Hubby-darling)

So in preparation for next week, yesterday I did a wee bit of Christmassy sewing. 




I bought the cushions from Next (seriously, I couldn't have bought the fabric and made them myself for that price), then cut two little reindeers out of some linen I had in my stash,  appliquéd them on to the cover and added a touch of embroidery.  A quick & easy make - just the kind I like. 




I got the reindeer template from a Bustle & Sew pattern I bought a little while ago.
  (Have you discovered Bustle & Sew yet? If not, do pop over and be wowed by Helen's lovely creations. )



Sooo chuffed with them, I am.

So much so, that I just couldn't possibly pack them away until the 1st, so there they are taking pride of place and waiting to be joined by all the other lovely Christmassy things next week.




Sssshhhhh . . .  don't tell the Hubby . . .
; - )


'til next time,
xoxo

19 comments:

  1. These are so cute!! Love the light purple plaid and the sweet deer! Have a lovely day!! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I subscribe to Bustle & Sew, it's a lovely publication. I've even made some gifts from there for Christmas too. Sounds like the same battle I have with my husband each year, deep down he knows he will be sent into the attic on Sunday evening to get the boxes down ready for me. Love your cushions, as you say sometimes it is cheaper than making it from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh sneaky! I sat happily in that chair. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. sweet! I put my decorations up as SOON as possible after Thanksgiving. Sometimes it is the first weekend...sometimes the second. I love to look at all the twinkly little lights :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually aim for the 2nd weekend in December to put the decorations up. Love the cushions!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very clever, pillows, and plans, Gilly :) And even though I am still enjoying our Fall decorations I too am plotting and planning how to transition to Christmas decor this weekend! The Orthodox church I have been attending celebrates six weeks of Advent rather than the four weeks I've known as a Protestant, and I am curious to find out what traditions they share for the season. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear gilly
    They are a very classy and elegant addition to your Christmas decorations - lovely!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cushions are lovely, Gilly. We usually put our tree up around the 1st December. As it's a Monday this year, maybe we'll sneak it up on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cushions look gorgeous. Perfect for a little pre-christmas decorating :)
    I will have to popover to Bustle and Sew, the reindeer pattern is gorgeous.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know why hubbies think they'll win the decoration debate. You'd think they'd know by now that they won't win that one ... any more than they'll win any other debate! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeously pretty seasonal make, so stylish. How do those candle holders survive Ben and Jerry?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute! Love your fireplace and chairs! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the cushions Gilly, great idea. I normally aim for round about the second weekend in December . x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea, they look lovely. I'm with your hubby, I don't decorate too early, even though I absolutely love Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, I agree, the tree and decorations should go up on the first, my two teenage sons are on my side, so I always win (Hub is very good though). Woo xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous, and what a delightful area to sit and make. Have a lovely weekend

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love these, and the look so expensive too. Thanks for the tip on how to make great Christmas cushions. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how you've personalised these shop bought cushions and made them ten times better. A little applique can lift something so easily. I'll get out the advent calendar bunting and wreath and a few other bits and bobs tomorrow, but the main event will be in a couple of weeks. I do love this time of year though! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, they look great! We used to put up the Xmas decorations quite late but now that we have kids they usually go up very close to Dec 1st. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank for popping by & saying hello!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...