Saturday 13 September 2014

My OWOP days . . .




One week, one pattern ~

This was a fun sewing challenge hosted by Handmade Jane,
a whole week of wearing one of my favourite patterns.

Now regular readers will not be at all surprised that my current favourite pattern is . . . 
yes, you guessed it . . . The Kate Dress from Sew Me Something. 



So seeing as I have over time already made four Kates, it seemed only natural that I picked this pattern for the OWOP challenge - and of course, it gave me an excuse to make another one too. 
 Five seems like a nice number, don't you think ?

So, without further ado, here's my OWOP week that was . . .


Saturday:

Tunic length, with pockets and plain short sleeves.

Teamed with leggings and my oh-so-comfy Sketchers. I took a sewing workshop in the morning, and taught a "Learn to Crochet" workshop to a delightful bunch of peeps in the afternoon (more about that soon) and it was a beautiful warm sunny day, so the cardi was discarded early on. 


Sunday:

Dress length with pockets, cap sleeves and a placket.

Another lovely sunny day, so out came the legs and the FitFlops,  we had a barbecue and enjoyed this lovely late summer weather we've been having.  
This was my first ever Kate - as you can see in the pic on the left, I got the neckline a bit squiffy so I unpicked and redid it, and it sits way better now. 




Monday:

Dress length, with straight short sleeves,  lace-edged pockets and a frill.

Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to work I go . . .  in my favourite Kate teamed with my favourite cropped cardi.  My favourite pups don't get to come to work with me, but the Jerry-dog seemed to want to be in the pic.



Tuesday:
Tunic length, 3/4 sleeves, pockets and a lace zip at the back.

 Had a Pilates class in the morning where, quite frankly, wearing a dress would be entirely inappropriate, so I only changed into my Kate after class when it was time to head off to Book Club.  In case you're wondering,  the basket contains some yummy choc-chip shortbread, and my books of course ; - )
Oh, and I feel the need to add that whilst those are the exact same navy leggings I wore on Saturday, they were indeed laundered in between ; - )




Wednesday:

Tunic length, cap sleeves, no pockets with a lace-edged hem.

Teamed with jeggings and a scarf, Wednesday's Kate took me to my French class in the morning and a hair appointment in the afternoon.  



Thursday:

See Saturday above . . .

I spent the day home alone on Thursday - so it had to be a selfie in the mirror -  but I had a fun time making place cards & table settings for my upcoming big birthday party.   Wearing Saturday's Kate again, this time with jeggings and a scarf.  'Twas another warm & sunny day, but a wee bit cool indoors, hence the scarf.
Oh, and when I was all done with the party planning, I did some sewing,  and finished . . . yes again, you guessed it  . . . another Kate. 
(am I really that predictable ?)
Which brings us nicely to Day 7 . . . 




Friday:

Tunic length, cap sleeves, lace-edged hemline.

Ta-dah . . . my newest Kate - teamed with grey jeggings and a coral pink cardi which picks up the exact same colour in the fabric, and accessorized with my other favourite pup (see Monday above), the Ben-dog, who thinks that if you are in the garden, you must be wanting to play. The perfect ensemble for a morning spent running errands and arranging flowers, and an impromptu afternoon tea with a lovely friend.


So there you have it - my week of wearing The Kate Dress.
It's a lovely pattern that is quick and easy to make, and equally simple to wear in a variety of lengths and styles so I had fun changing it up this week.
All the Kates are made up in various gorgeous collections from Art Gallery Fabrics (I do sooo love all  their pretty fabrics),  except for the green floral one which is a Riley Blake cotton.

And my challenge for the new week ahead ?  I really want to finish Kate Dress no. 6  - a navy needlecord version I started last winter that's been sitting in the WIP pile since then.
Yes, it seems six is actually a nice number too  . . .

 
Thanks again to Handmade Jane for organizing and hosting this fun challenge, and of course thanks to Jules at Sew Me Something for designing the Kate in the first place !


'til next time,
xoxo



23 comments:

  1. You are on a roll, Gilly :) It is fun to see how you have taken one pattern and created so many different looks with it. I have a hankering to find a simple jumper pattern I can wear with slacks and turtlenecks. I have purchased a few jumpers, but so far have not found "The Pattern" I think I want. You encourage me to keep looking! Thanks! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow such super cute and lovely dresses. Its amazing how a few changes of fabric or embellishments make them look so different!
    I took part for the first time this year too. It was great fun!
    http://carolinejoynson.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/this-week-ive-mostly-been-wearing-or.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hooo Gilly way to go! I love your week of OWOP....you are the queen of the Kate dress! Fabulously ab Fab darling Mwah Mwah.....
    Bestest to you this weekend Daisy j x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love tge fabruc yiu used in the sunday kate dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great pattern to showcase beautiful fabrics and you've certainly done that! Looking forward to seeing your needlecord version too! Thanks for taking part. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. All gorgeous of course! I am very interested to hear about the crochet coaching. It is something I have been thinking about trying... All part of Project WIWTBWIGU. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those outfits are gorgeous, and they really suit you. You have had a busy week. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great dresses and nicely accessorised as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Kate dress looks fabulous on you a perfect fit and perfect fabrics make it look new in every picture you posted. What a great challenge, I would have had to wear skirts because that is all that I have made.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these dresses-they look comfortable but stylish, a difficult combo to come by! ;) The Tea Time pics in previous post look so lovely as well, I'm craving a nice scone with clotted cream now. XX

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing one pattern yet they all look different, you are very talented that you can do that, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh you have had a fun-filled week and how appropriate that you have spent it draped in your 'Kate' creations. It seems to me that one can never have too many 'Kate' dresses. All your variations are gorgeous. 'Tis a bit tricky to pick a favourite as all the fabrics and the little touches you have added are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, so pretty and stylish, love them all!

    I have been eyeing up this pattern, and the Beatrice pinafore for some time now, but I am a total beginner at this dressmaking lark - are the patterns idiot proof for someone like me, or better suited to a talented seamstress such as your good self?

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen :-) Both the Beatrice and the Kate are geared towards beginners and the instructions are very well laid out & user-friendly (with diagrams too!), so I'm sure you'd be absolutely fine. Thanks for the compliment, but I'm fairly new to dressmaking too - just learning lots as I go along. So I'd say just go for it :-) Just remember to read the Finished Garment Measurements first though, to get the right size for you before you cut, as both patterns have a very generous fit - I had to take mine in. Happy sewing, xx

      Delete
  14. I love you Sunday Kate dress! It's absolutely gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous Gilly, I've finally bought the pattern and can not wait to make to make one! (or 2 or 3 or 4 etc!!) xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! So any versions of one pattern. Well done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! I love Sunday's dress with the bib! If you ever go into business.. I'll take that first please Gilly X Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Kate dress really suits you, Gilly. Every one of them is beautiful. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I quite agree with sticking with a style you love and feel good in ..... over the years I have worn lots of crinkly skirts from Orvis (great for travelling in).

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a great style, I love tunic tops/dresses, they are so versatile :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. They are all beautiful and that pattern is certainly on my wish list no. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't know if I can sew something that well but you make me want to try! all your "Kates" are lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thank for popping by & saying hello!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...